Friday, June 26, 2015

BLUEBIRDS ARE FASCINATING

My fascination with Bluebirds began about 45 years ago when I took a hike with my son Andy on the home farm in Big Valley in Central PA.  I noticed a Bluebird flying, so we followed it and discovered a pair feeding young in a nest is the hollow of a Black Locust snag. I decided we would observe the birds for a while, so we sat down  right in front of the hole. I told Andy, who was 5 years old at the time, that he had to sit still and not make any movements at all. 

The drive to feed chicks is very strong in bird parents, so both soon showed up with food. They landed on a nearby branch and looked down on us. They looked at each other, did some chattering and looked at us again.  It appeared they were trying to size us up as to what danger we posed to them and their brood. They would fly down near the hole and then fly away without entering.  This went on for several minutes. (It seems like forever when you are sitting perfectly still.)  After about 5 to 7 minutes, the female finally went to the hole, fed the chicks and flew away; followed immediately by the male who did the same thing. 

Andy never moved or said anything during that entire time. As soon as the male fed the chicks we moved on.  It was a really neat experience that I will never forget. Does this mean females are more adventuresome than  males? That debate will have to wait.   

Soon after this experience I began making and putting up boxes for Bluebirds.  I don't make them anymore, but I am still putting them up when I can. In April of this year, after we returned from Florida, I decided to go to Big Valley for a visit.  I did not have big plans, but I decided to take along 4 new Bluebird boxes. I spent 5 days visiting relatives, bird watching and working on the various bluebird boxes that I had put up in the past.  Many were in disrepair and others had been destroyed.

I repaired those that could be salvaged and replaced those that were gone.  
On April 16 I replaced boxes on the light poles that carry electricity to the home farm.  About 15 minutes after I put up the first house, there were two pair of Tree Swallows and a pair of Bluebirds all swarming around this one nest box. I was amazed. Both species landed on the box and inspected the inside.  It seems they were all in the area looking for housing. When I returned 6 weeks later the nest was occupied by Tree Swallows.

At the end of May I returned to Big Valley to bird watch and check the boxes. Of the 14 available houses, seven had Bluebird nests, eggs or chicks.  Four had Tree Swallow activity and one was being used by a House Sparrow (I took this box down). Two boxes remained empty.

It seems the Bluebirds of Big Valley are doing well.  There were at least 5 active pair that had chicks or eggs either right before or during the time I was visiting.  The two boxes with empty Bluebird nests did not have any birds defending the sites, so I could not determine their status.

The success of these beautiful birds in this area can be traced to the help of  local residents Dan Brown, Fred Brown and T. Ray Metz who have monitored these birds and put up boxes to replace those damaged.  On behalf of the birds I thank you. Keep up the good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment