Saturday, December 19, 2020

A SHINING LIGHT

A   SHINING LIGHT


Naomi Hartzler was a shining light in my life and all others who had the privilege of knowing her. Her smile lit up a room and she was always optimistic and thinking of others.  My Brother Bob described her as "a kind, gentle person".  From the time I first met her in the Summer of 1946 until now, I loved her and considered her an important part of my family. On Friday December 18 I received an email from Sanford King (a relative) informing us that she had passed away. She was 94.

Recently, I decided to call family and friends. Naomi was the first person on my list. I called her at the Valley View nursing home in Belleville where she lived as a resident on Wednesday December 9. She answered with her cell phone  and said she was in "rehab". She seems surprised and happy with my call. She proceeded to explain to me why she was not in her room. She had gotten up from her bed to go to the bathroom, felt dizzy and fell. She said "I have some bruises but will be ok". I said I hoped she would get  better soon.  She did not sound sick.  Our conversation was short, but seemed normal.  

Friday evening after I received his e-mail, I spoke to Sanford on the phone.   According to him, she had fallen in her terrace room on Sunday 12/6.  On Monday 12/7 she was tested for COVID-19, her test came back positive and she  was placed in the area of Valley View set aside for covid patients.  Her "rehab" was really the covid unit.  Sanford's wife who spoke to her regularly, said she reported on my phone call to her with "You won't believe who called me---Dick Brown". Sanford reported that she grew weak and tired but did not really start to deteriorate until about 48 hours before her death. He said her voice was weak and she developed pneumonia.
 
Naomi Hartzler joined the Porter and Marian Brown family in the summer of 1946.  I was six years old. My mother had become ill for reasons I did not understand, but I knew were serious because she was bedridden and very weak.  I remember seeing her in bed in the "good" room which was not normal.  This bedroom in our home was always reserved for guests who came to visit. Only much later would I learn that my mother's illness was actually a miscarriage. A clue came in a letter to my mother written by Nellie Metz Strayer at  the time of her experience.

Somehow my Dad heard about Naomi and hired her to work for us in the summer of 1946.  This was always a very busy time with canning, freezing, gardening and lots of work to do. She quickly learned what needed to be done and for a time ran the household under my mother's direction. Mom  eventually was strong enough to move about the house and help Naomi with the work.  As time wore on and my mother regained her strength, she assumed full control and Naomi became more of an assistant doing the gardening and yard work as well as the normal household duties.  She remembered getting ready for silo filling when family and neighbors came to cut, haul and blow the corn into the silo for winter cattle food. She remembered it as a very busy time with lots of baking and other food preparation. 

Naomi spent most of the Fall working for my mother. My Dad picked her up Sunday evening, she lived and worked at our place until Friday evening when he would take her home to Allensville.  She lived in an apartment above Updegrove's General Store with her mother and Grandmother. I remember the stair as being long and steep.

When Naomi retired  she  and her sister bought a cottage at Valley View.  Her sister moved into he nursing home section, so Naomi had the house to herself.  Over the years when I would go to Big Valley, I made it a point to stop and visit for a time. She was always glad to see me and shared her memories  and stories of her time with us.

She recalled my brother Bob, age three or so, standing at the doorway and asking "Nomi I want a peanut butter sandwich".
He would play outside, his feet would be dirty and if he came in with dirt on his feet he probably got yelled at, so he would balance himself on the door step and call in.  Naomi thought this was really funny. The first year, I believe she worked at our place until the holidays.

Naomi did not drive, so my folks decided she should learn how to drive a car. At the time we had a black 1940 Ford that my parents purchased before WWII. It had a gear shift  in the floor and was not easy to operate.  One day my Mother decided to give Naomi some driving lessons.  It did not go well---using a clutch, a brake and an accelerator did not come naturally to her.  After some jerky movements and "bunny hopping" Bob and I, who were sitting in the back seat started screaming:  We're all going to die". She never forgot the experience. 

Eventually she got the technique of driving to the point where she could take her driving test.  My Dad took her to Huntingdon for her test---she failed.  She had three learning permits and on the the third try she passed. Dad decided to let her drive home. He suggested that they stop and get the mail.  Our mailbox was positioned with several others in front of the Roxbury School. She drove up to get the mail and proceeded to mow them  all down. She was mortified. She eventually did buy a car and as far as I know she never had any other issues with driving. 

As far as I can remember Naomi worked for my Mother in the summer  in 1947 and again 1948 when my brother Fred was born. One thing I remember during that time was going to Bible School at the Mennonite Church Naomi attended.  It was interesting to see the men sit on one side of the church and the women and children on the other.

The last time Naomi worked for my folks was in January 1949 when my Dad and Mother went to Florida to celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary. My grandparents Fred and Margaret Brown went along.  They stayed about 2 weeks. Bob and I stayed with Aunt Anna Brown in our Grandparents house in Airy Dale. Naomi kept house and took care of  baby Fred.  Dad hired a local farmer to come each day to milk the cows and do the barn work.When they returned Grandma Margaret came home but Grandpa Fred stayed in Florida  and returned when the weather warmed.

Over the years Naomi continued to interact with us.  She came to our family gatherings, funerals and in recent years she joined us at the Metz Family Reunion.  She will be missed

No comments:

Post a Comment